Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Drill Book using forScore app

I just recently finished up our 2011 band camp and had the opportunity to use my iPad 2 in a really great way.  I was playing around with an app called forScore.  Mark referred to it in a recent blog posting about great iPad apps.

forScore  ($4.99)  This is in my opinion the best music reader out there.  My initial complaint was the lack of drop box integration within the program itself.  HOWEVER - by opening dropbox, finding the .pdf to view, then selecting "open with", any .pdf file can be then opened in forScore.  The best part about this music reader is the programs ability to pre-load the pages before you turn them, making for very quick page turns.  Plus it just looks good.  If you have ever played in a dark-lit room where you need a music stand light - eliminate this need by getting forScore app where your iPad IS the light.


I was adding my marching band scores to the app using Dropbox and decided to take it one step further adding pdf's of all my marching drill for the show.  I created a set list with all the drill running back to back and the app sets up all alignment.  All of the sudden this tool had expanded the iPad into a huge new direction.  I can edit drill using the editing/note tabs built into forScore and turning pages is really easy.  My only complaint is how small text can be but using "pinching" on the screen or cropping can fix that, and also dealing with sun glare on the screen (brightness adjustments help).  The learning curve for this use of the app was probably about 20 minutes to get comfortable with the gestures and everything makes sense.  Try it out and let me know any little secrets you find out.

1 comment:

  1. A recent update to forScore has now integrated Dropbox! Woot!

    ReplyDelete